Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What time?

by Gina Tanner
Having recently lived in New Mexico, I’d thought I was well used to the concept of maňana. Those who haven’t had the pleasure of living in the Land of Enchantment may think maňana refers to “tomorrow”. However, in New Mexico, it means “not today”. And, the native New Mexicans embrace the concept that if it doesn't happen today, they’ll take care of it sometime in the future. Near future or distant future – it doesn't matter. Just sometime that isn't today.

So, I really didn't think the Italian concept of “flexible” time would affect me all that much. Was I ever wrong – again. Almost daily, great cultural experiences (dinners, meetings, etc.) have been planned to enrich our Cagli experience. Frustratingly, the times change. And change. And change. When we request ask exact times, the answer is, “7:00, 7:30, maybe 8:00”. 

Time Orientation Value is such a part of my American cultural make-up that I almost have a physical reaction to not being somewhere on time, or if people don’t show up when they’re scheduled, or if something doesn't happen at an appointed time. Italians, on the other hand, don't rely on this particular value.

The Italians believe events will happen when they happen and people will show up when they show up. And, it will be OK. On the one hand, not being “hung up” on the whole time thing is liberating. On the other hand, I can’t keep from feeling the dissonance. My well-ordered life still requires schedules and deadlines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment