Sunday, June 23, 2013

Either Watch Out or Join the Flow


by Heather Schmitt
As a Pedestrian. There’s nothing that keeps your heart rate up on a jog through Cagli more than knowing you might be side-swiped by a car at any moment.  There are a couple things at work here.  First, the streets are very narrow, and the sidewalks basically non-existent.  Pair that with the fact that most roads are windy, corners sharp, and Italian drivers – well – let’s just say that hitting the brakes seems to be more of an afterthought.  When I was getting my license in the states, I remember it being drilled into me that “pedestrians always have the right-away.”  Here in Italy I’m still trying to figure out why they have crosswalks. 

As a Driver. Switch roles.  On a first attempt, I imagine I might find driving a car here quite intimidating as well.  In fact, I’d rather risk my life being a pedestrian.  I can just see myself with my eyes glued to the rearview mirror, waiting for the driver on my tail to rear-end me.  Or I’d find myself trying to drive through a narrow street full of people, slamming on my breaks when the driver in front of me slams on hers, or better yet – trying to park in a non-existent parking stall.

As a Passenger. I hitched a ride to Frontone on Thursday to get some pictures for my project.  I swear at times I was sitting in a roller coaster car.  When a car came around a corner in our lane and my driver simply moved toward the shoulder, I had to smile.  When it happened again, it occurred to me that they probably don’t need anti-texting-and-driving commercials here.  I immediately understood why my driver’s eyes literally never left the road. 

Don’t get me wrong, I can’t complain – the ride was quite efficient and the opportunity to experience these three roles were good lessons in intercultural communication.  While these driving etiquettes might look or feel a little outrageous to someone accustomed to driving on American roads, they work in this setting.  Individual drivers understand one another and flow together in a surprisingly natural fashion.  And this pedestrian has become quite comfortable melting into this flow when she hears a car approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment