Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Intimidating Italian

By Meagan Pierluissi    
It's Jake, it's Jack--it's really a different name altogether but none of us students know what to really call this local cafe owner in Cagli's piazza.

There's an apparent dance to learn on which cafes you go to and when--trying to patronize each of them fairly so Gonzaga students will be continually welcomed by everyone here. Jake's, or Jack, is one of my favorites. He's a true Italian and can scare me to death when it's my turn to order.

The piazza becomes a happening place (ok, more happening than it was earlier that day) each evening. People are ready to be served. Now that the days are getting warmer, Cagliese and Zags want a nice, chilled vino bianco or una birra as an aperitif, or even for lunch since we are in Italy and all. There's another reason to come see Jake; his incredible gelato, something he makes in the wee hours of the morning, is a true treat.
Photo by Gina Tanner, Gonzaga University

One day last week it was incredibly busy there, and I really needed something cool to eat, so a gelato was in order. It's my turn. I freeze! What do I want? I have to examine my options, but Jake has little time for this. He tells me in the universal language of, "HURRY UP!" with his intimidating gesture and sneer. If I had not already been warned of his true Italian personality, I would have cried. I gave my order knowing that I couldn't go wrong with any gelato option there.

Then, just today, as the piazza was winding down for pausa, the afternoon break, I ran down to Jake's for (yes, again) a gelato instead of a real lunch. He had time to spare. This is my favorite side of him. He teaches me more Italian words each time I go and there's time. I tried out a new one on him that I learned earlier that day in class, "C'e caldo," or it's hot. He agreed and helped me say it better. He does this a lot. He helps us say these lovely words better. I'm grateful.

There are many times that I've tried words out but, with my accent, the person couldn't understand me still. I get frustrated in these moments because I know I'm saying it as best I can--and it's so close to how it is said but say it a little off and the person doesn't understand me. When someone like Jake takes time to help us understand and communicate better, it makes all the difference in our day.

People like Jake are who we'll remember after leaving here. I hope to take time with worldly sojourners coming into the U.S. just as Jake, and other Cagliese, have done for me.  

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Even as busy as these folks are they take the time to be kind to us. They play such a role in our education here. So blessed!

    ReplyDelete