Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Gioia di vivere

by Gina Tanner
Pausa ends and the Cagliese emerge from their homes and return to stores, restaurants and the piazza to shop and visit with friends and neighbors. On one such afternoon, I walked the narrow, cobblestone streets and was treated to the strains of lively music echoing off ancient stone walls. Following the music, I spied three young men in their mid-twenties meandering through the little town, entertaining residents with an impromptu concert.

The residents who watched from doorways or just stopped in the street to listen clapped their hands along with the rhythm, bright smiles appearing on their faces. The musicians played not for profit or recognition but simply for the love of making music and bringing enjoyment to others.

The Italians know a thing or two about work/life balance. A Cagliese gentleman told me that Italians pursue a career to survive and a passion to live. They appreciate the difference between a vocation and an avocation. And, they know how to balance the two. Twelve-hour workdays and six-day work weeks are not expected or even encouraged. Instead, the pace of life slows allowing for family, friends, and passions.

When the same gentleman asked what my passion was, I was at a loss to answer. I thought about things that occupied my time: work, school, household chores, volunteer and civic responsibilities. Sadly, I couldn't think of a single avocation. I’m hoping my Cagli experience will teach me to adjust paradigms to enjoy life’s journey and cultivate gioia di vivere, the joy of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment