Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Leaving My Italian Home

by Jacelyn Keys
My last full day in Cagli.  It seems like only yesterday the bus dropped us off.  And yet, it is as if we have lived a lifetime since arriving.  I couldn’t sleep so I grabbed my laptop and came to the piazza for once of Jake’s cappuccinos.  Starbucks has been forever ruined for me. 

We are each dealing with leaving Cagli in our own ways.  Last night several of us nearly cried at the thought of our limited time left here - we agreed to just enjoy each second we have left in our Italian home and each other’s company. The reintegration process will be different for each of us, but the finality of knowing we will never be together in this city in the way we are in this moment is sobering. 

We will each say goodbye to Cagli in our own way.  Part of my process is this post.  I’ll miss so many things, but these are things I will miss dreadfully:

·        The piazza – because Italian homes are for the most part small, the piazza becomes the community living room.  This idea of being in community with each other in such a way as this is truly one of my favorite parts of Italian life.  People make the time to great each other, to have a gelato, or sip a Prosecco with friends and neighbors.  I bought a painting of the piazza here and will hang it in my office as a reminder that the true worth of a person is not the 14 or 16 hour days they give to the office but the meaningful relationships they create with those around them.

·        Public displays of affection – in America, I am relatively opposed to these.  I find sitting on each other’s laps and making out in public annoying to say the least.  Here, affection is just that.  It feels less like public foreplay and more the communication of true warmth.

·        The food scene – Roma and Firenze had me worried.  I didn’t eat breathtakingly good Italian food until I came to Cagli.  As I walked around town, I found new treasures, tried many restaurants and spoke to the chefs about their philosophy of food.  My favorite place to eat, quickly became Sant' Angelos.  A small family run restaurant, they only seat 21 people.  The husband bottles 150 bottles of the most breathtaking cherry wine a year (honestly, I hate wine, but you could fill a bathtub with this stuff, pop a straw in it and I would liberally indulge), all the produce is grown in the couple’s garden, and the meats (including horse, which yes, I tried) are locally produced.  You can taste the love.   

·        Screen less windows with shutters – The first time I threw open the shutters, I actually thought about extending my hand to see if a bluebird would land on my finger.  I was having my own little Snow White moment in Italy! Don’t tell me Disney doesn’t impact culture. 

·        Deanna - *sigh*.  I’ll miss my dear friend and roomie dreadfully.  We decided to come to Italy together over a year ago during our first class in this grad program.  Getting to know her, hug her, and laugh with her in Italy is a blessing I will take with me far beyond our time in Cagli.

·        The People – the people of Cagli have been beyond kind and gracious.  They have welcomed us, taught us, laughed with us (probably at us a time or two), corrected us, and been endlessly patient with our toddler-esque Italian attempts.  The people make the city.  The here people are amazing.

I have, of course, missed things about home:

·        Reliable internet access (discovered I live just fine without it.)

·        A dryer (so it takes two days to dry our clothes – plan ahead.)

·        Being able to shave my entire leg (the coffin sized showers prevent this comfortably, but since I only packed capri pants, I don’t really need to shave my entire leg so who cares?)

·        A dryer climate (I’m not used to the humidity and I’m not a fan of it, but if the kids can run and play in the humidity, I can suck it up and sit in the humidity.)

·        Having complete control over my hair (because of the humidity, I have ‘Shirley-Temple-stuck-her-finger-in-a-light-socket hair’ – and who really cares? It has yet to impact my ability to learn new things).

·        Ice (It’s a Europe thing.  They just don’t put ice in your drinks.  Deal.)

·        Being able to check in with Mom (phone calls are spendy, but I have been able to keep touch with email and the occasional call, and she knows how to get ahold of me, so it’s worked fine).

·        My heels – I didn’t pack any and I have found that I miss them.  But I’m in a fashion capitol of the world (honestly, the entire country is shaped like a thigh high boot) and I may just bring home some new friends.


All in all the things I miss, save for talking to Mom more, isn’t that big of a deal.  What I have gained is ever so much more powerful and life altering.  Worth every penny.  Worth every tear shed.  Worth every sleepless night.  Worth it a thousand times over. 

Grazie Mille, Cagli.  You have changed my life and become a part of my heart and soul.  I will carry you with me always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment