Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Eat it While it's Hot

by Heather Schmitt

The a.m. bar hop.  A few mornings I engaged in what I like to call “morning bar hopping.”  It starts like this.  I end my morning run by scoping Cagli’s side streets to see what new places I might try for my cappuccino or a produce pick-up later that day.  Before class, I stop in at one café and order a cappuccino while I study or do my best to chat with locals. After I finish my drink, I head closer to campus and dip in to enjoy my second at a different café.  This is also where I cave in and spoil myself with a croissant.  (Try one and you’ll never say, “I’m good with Greek yogurt and multigrain toast for breakfast” again…)
How did this start?  Admittedly, this “bar hopping” situation partly came about due to the fact that I didn’t know how to order two espresso shots in one drink in Italian – so a couple times I ended up with “due” (two) cappuccinos in front of me (this isn’t a bad way to go either).  I also realized that the morning cappuccino is meant to be enjoyed in the café in which it was purchased, and not simply taken in a 20 oz. ‘to go’ cup.  At first this took a little adapting to, because I couldn’t simply drop in (or drive thru) for my “double-shot grande sugar-free vanilla nonfat latte, just ½ the flavoring, please" and then rush off to class, drink in hand.  But the bonus is that now I find myself enjoying those minutes at a comfortable table where I always end up meeting someone new.  This way of enjoying community and ‘slowing down’ is something I would love to adapt to my life once I arrive home, but unfortunately I have a feeling the pace of life might make that difficult. 

Quit feeling bad; just eat it while it’s hot.  It has always been the norm for me to hold off on taking a bite of my food until everyone has been served.  But here in Italy, you eat when your food arrives, regardless of whether or not everyone received their meals.  It took urging from others to convince me that it was normal to eat right then – “while it’s hot,” because I felt bad eating in front of others whose mouths were probably watering at the sight of my delightful pasta dish or the aroma of my pizza.  In a large group, thirty minutes can pass between the time the first and last guests receive their pizzas.  However, between all the wine and courses, it feels natural to spend hours at a meal, especially dinner.  As long as you’re not one who gets antsy sitting one place for a long time, you’ll enjoy the process.  These ‘events’ force me to slow down, taste every bite/sip, and get to know my companions over good (long) conversation. 

Trust me. You’ll eat the whole thing.  I’m not sure if it’s because their food is so good, or because the Italians know better how to serve a portion size.  Or maybe it’s because you have upwards of two hours to enjoy your meal.  I’ll venture to say that it’s a combination of all three.  BUT, it is rare that you will leave food on your plate.  The first time we all ordered pizzas, I was in Heaven.  What? We each order our own? Sweet. Wait. But I can’t eat a whole pizza on my own.  Well, was I mistaken – I ate every bite.  This is a good thing because the couple of times I left food on plate, the waiters wanted to know what I didn’t like about it.  “Molto bueno!” I assured them, with some sort of sign that I just couldn’t eat more.  No need to ask for a takeout box.  

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment