Tuesday, June 25, 2013

E Sempre Un Avventura – Every Step is an Adventure

by Stefanie Burger
The last few days in Cagli have been life changing. I have not experienced much dissonance in the majority of the time that I have spent here in the city or even in the surrounding cities but the last few days have really made me realize that this place is home. The mindset and lifestyle of the Cagliese is one of community, one based on friendship and one that I hope to continue using as a model for my own life once I return to the states. 

Yesterday, we had an Italian quiz at school and the night before was filled to the brim with anxiety to say the least. Student’s filled the Piazza and could be seen in any corner of the square with a different local making an effort to understand conversational Italian while constructing sentences for our “guess test” the next morning. While my roommate and I had planned on having a single glass of wine and a brief visit with one of our favorite locals, Romano, we ended up getting much more than we had originally bargained for. 

As we were preparing to leave, we walked into Café D’Italia to say our goodbyes and ended up turning our attempted farewells into hellos that were shared with new friends. For hours, we sat at the bar learning Italian from the locals, enjoying complimentary food and drink with the owner and listening to American music (specially chosen for us) booming throughout the bar. There were three students (including myself) that sat at the bar until the wee hours of the morning and it was in those wee hours that we bonded with the locals, experienced their kindness and made connections that will leave and imprint on our hearts for all time. 

This may seem like such a tiny and insignificant moment but in the time we spent at that bar, we grew roots into the community and it created a strong hold that would permanently attach us to this place for our entire lives. I write about this experience specifically (even though there have been many similar moments) because I am not quite sure this type of connection could occur in many areas throughout the states. In the US, I notice a certain sense of urgency in general but specifically within the food industry. Everything is about the quick turnover, closing on time, meeting quotas and conforming to a corporately driven idea of what matters. In Italy, closing times are flexible, you enjoy your food, you indulge in good company and a table is yours for as long as you like it.  

What am I trying to say here? Simply this… As cliché as it may sound, take the time to smell the roses, take a slow stroll through your neighborhood, sit down and enjoy the artistry in your next cup of coffee and make the time to meet new friends, try new things and take small chances.  This past week, I traveled to Urbino and made the decision to permanently tattoo a Cagli landmark and some words of Italian wisdom onto my body in hopes of carrying this life changing experience and all of my memories with me for my lifetime.  This phrase is with me forever and I hope that the next incoming group of students will take the time to apply it to their own assimilation into the Cagli community. Simply remember, “E sempre un avventura” because “every step is an adventure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment