Monday, June 17, 2013

The high life--or not


By Meagan Pierluissi 

Three inches off the ground with a heel raised five additional inches off the back, high heels effortlessly traverse uneven, and often loosely hinged, cobblestones by women who have definitely done this before. A parade of brightly colored pinks, blues, or gold heels stroll through Cagli's piazza, sometimes each day but most certainly throughout the evening. The straps can gently bind at the ankle or careen up the leg having five or more buckles in all.
Italian women have style (and ankle strength).

The same cannot be same for me.

Having packed lightly (or as lightly as I thought I could), I only have strappy sandals--functional not fashionable--hiking shoes, and flats. Flats, sandals, and hiking shoes--that's it. I am not making a fashion statement here, and I do not go unnoticed. Gonzaga students already stand out amid the Italian people here, but one look up and down my attire makes it glaringly obvious that fashion alludes me.

Self-consciousness runs wild within me in these moments of fashion examination. Although the sandals, hiking attire, and flats are part of my every day life in the U.S., I suddenly feel a need to learn to walk in high heels and walk well enough to remain standing over rough terrain. Oh to have grown up in Italy! What a different life I probably would have lived.

I hope the wonderful women of Cagli will forgive my inability to look just as amazing, stylish, and timeless.

2 comments:

  1. You look amazing and stylish all the time! High heels don't make fashion...sometimes all they get you is a sprained ankle. :) Rock your strappy flats.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do make for great calves. But I agree unless you've been bred in Europe, I'm afraid it's the fast ticket to a bum ankle.

    ReplyDelete