Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Good Wine, Good Food and Good Company!

by Janel Koval
I did my interview with Luigi Gazetta, a fourth generation photographer who retired about 7 years ago.  He still remains an active part of the Cagliese lifestyle.  He invited me to go to an event on Friday so I could capture him interacting with his fellow store keeps. 

Apparently, this is something that he and all the store owners on his street do every Friday.  When they get together, they only speak in dialect, and Luigi warned me that it would be a bit of a gossip fest.  I was all too interested in experiencing the traditional Cagli life, that the language barrier did not intimidate me.

Being an outsider at this event, made me realize the close relationships that have formed in Cagli over the generations.  This town has more history that I am use to, and it appears that the people of Cagli, embrace the lifestyle and traditions. 

As I sat at the table, I snapped pictures and took video of the event and quietly took in this experience that I was lucky enough to be invited to.  I sat there in aw of the affection and intimacy that all of the gatherers seem to have with one another.  It was unlike anything I was use to, but I liked it.

It made me realize that friendship and generosity supersede the superficial thinks in life.  Although I was an outsider, they filled my plate and wine glass up as if I was a regular participant in the event.  They made me feel welcome and comfortable in a situation where I could not verbally communicate or understand.  I was astonished at how open everyone was and found myself grateful to be a part of such a treasured event.

No comments:

Post a Comment