Saturday, June 15, 2013

Venturing out for an easy conversation

by Meagan Pierluissi 
Each day we are here, which has only been a few days, we are faced with new encounters throughout our Italian experience--well those of Cagli anyway. And each day there we are hopeful of a newfound confidence to meet those encounters with, at the very least, the ability to greet people and say a few things in Italian.

I arrived in Italy on June 1, touring around the country prior to class beginning. In all that time, you might think that I had picked up a thing or two about the language, culture, cuisine, and the way of life here. Well, some of that may be true, since I did pick up a love for gelato, pizza, pasta, wine, and all things made of olive oil. In those shorts weeks I really only acquired the ability to order food or drinks. "Posso avere...," or "Can I/ May I have..." has been my phrase of choice as I try and make it work for every situation. 

One of our very first assignments was exploring the tiny mountain town of Cagli in search of various photograph potential. This search sent a classmate of mine and myself over a bridge and into the "new" part of city, outside of the fortress-like walls surrounding us. We wanted to get a look back at the old city, cobblestones and all. We ventured down a smoothly paved street, stumbling on four older men and women who were sitting on their porch watching the sun sink below the mountain ridges. My classmate whispered to me, "how can we ask to take their photos?" I pulled out the only phrase I had and prayed it would make any sense in this situation. We strung together what felt to be a sentence, which then sent off a array of Italian phrases flying straight at us. We ducked and looked back in bewilderment, having absolutely no clue what they were telling us. They smiled though, so we began to click away and getting interesting photos of this extended family discussing the day's news.

They laughed when we confirmed their probable suspicions of us being from America. What gave us away?

Each moment is met this same type of experience, for me at least. I hope to meet and talk with the Cagliese but scared to death that they may actually say something back to me. New, beautiful Italian words learned each day and comfort in getting to know the warm faces of Cagli around the piazza gives me comfort to continue as I struggle to communicate--effectively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment