Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Caution: Inevitable Reverse Culture Shock Ahead

by Elizabeth Collins
Tomorrow morning my time in Cagli will come to a close. While some may be itching to get home – I cannot share the same enthusiasm. Don’t get me wrong… I am excited to see my friends and family, but I am enjoying the Italian life so much.

While some might be largely affected by pausa, multiple changes in event times, stores being closed seemingly without reason, or trying to remember to pay after eating and drinking. But – not me! None of these things have made me feel dissonance. In fact, people at home pick on me all the time for taking too long, being late, or deciding that - ehh - I’d like to relax instead. I may not be Italian but I sure feel like I fit in!

I’m attempting to prepare myself now for the dissonance I will feel when I return home. It will be hard to leave Cagli because of the beautiful scenery and generous people but also because I prefer this lifestyle to American culture. I enjoy walking slower and taking in the moment – I enjoy not feeling rushed or pressed to do things just to accommodate other people. I enjoy knowing the people I pass on the streets everyday and feeling safe when I walk home at night.

So, I am aware that reverse culture shock is ahead for me. I am hoping by knowing that up front I will be better prepared to handle it… I do not want to end up staying in bed for two months haha. I will miss the pastry and frozen cappuccino  in the morning, visiting the river during pause, the fresh market each week, the delicious food, the most adorable men gossiping on the piazza wall, andddd gelato - every flavor. I'm not quite sure how I will do without these things in my life each day - can I just stay here?

No comments:

Post a Comment