Sunday, June 23, 2013

Frustrated Shopper

by Gina Tanner 
Our class schedule allowed for a “free weekend”, and I thought Saturday would be the perfect opportunity to visit several stores that had piqued my interest. After all, stores are supposed to be open on Saturdays, right? Deciding 11:00 would be an appropriate time for the shops to open, even for Cagli, I set out to purchase souvenirs and mementos.

Imagine my surprise when the majority of my intended destinations were closed. Being optimistic, I went back a little later only to find they were still closed. Not giving up, I waited a little while longer only to find several had been open for an hour or two in the interval and were now closed again. Oh, the frustration. I thought, how can they possible turn a profit if they weren't open for customers? Weren't they worried about client satisfaction and losing business to a competitor? What if I, the customer, never came back?

Of course, American cultural values were guiding my thought process. The Italians aren't concerned with catering to the commercial crowd. They open if it’s convenient and are closed when it isn't. In Cagli, as in Italy in general, store owners don’t change their attitudes, behaviors, working hours, etc. to appease a client.

And so, as with many aspects of Italian life, I took a step back and reexamined my expectations. I’m still disappointed but it’s not the end of the world. After all, I can try again tomorrow. And if the shops still aren't open, at least I can stop by the café on the piazza and try another gelato flavor or maybe even two.

No comments:

Post a Comment