Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Name Game


By Deanna Titzler
In the United States, many people struggle to pronounce my name.  I am referred to as Dina, Diane, or Diana most frequently.  But in Italy, I’ve been told my name is molto facile (very easy).  It is such a delight to be introduced to older Cagliese gentlemen and hear them pronounce my name, Deanna, without struggle.  They say it with a lilt that makes my name sound almost exotic.

Two of my classmates haven’t had it molto facile when their names are used, however.  We have learned in our Italian class that the letters J, K, W, and Y are not used in this language.  The sound “th” is not common either.  The locals cannot figure out how to pronounce Jacelyn’s name.  And, Heather is pronounced “Atter,” which we find amusing.  In the U.S., we struggle pronouncing names such as Giuseppe and Giovanni, so it should be no surprise that we wander into these situation in other countries. 

Learning how to say words in Italian has been a struggle for me.  Sometimes it sounds as if I am pronouncing the words in French instead.  Fortunately, the people of Cagli are patient with the Gonzaga grad students and kindly correct us as needed.

1 comment:

  1. Great topic, Deanna/Dian/Diane/Diana :)
    When Cherry & I were in Rome, the "Italian Devil" (our moniker for him) thought it was hysterical that her name was Cherry. He said in equal parts amazement and amusement, "Cherry?! Like the fruit? That would be like naming my child Banana or Apple." Little did he know that 10 years later Gwyneth Paltrow would do just that :)

    ReplyDelete