Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lost and Found

by Jessica Mico-Wentworth
I will use excitement as an excuse for leaving 120 Euros and $40 behind at a restaurant.  I have never traveled to Italy (or Europe for that matter) and I had my food in hand and felt my priority was to eat it, and eat I did – It was fabulous!  It wasn’t until that night that I realized I'd left my wallet at that last restaurant.  Since it contained only cash and no ID, I figured there wasn't any reason to ask anyone to help me try to locate it. After all, I come from a place where it’s highly unlikely that the money would be returned.  
The next morning I mentioned it to some new friends from class and a friendly gentleman who spoke Italian and English offered to call the restaurant and find out if it was turned in for me. The manager returned his call an hour later saying they had the wallet and we could pick it up. After a faculty member collected my wallet, I was relieved and surprised to find all of my money was still there.  

I felt shocked and embarrassed when I realized that comparing my country to another and assuming it would be the same is a mistake.  This was a pleasant, eye opening experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment