Sunday, June 23, 2013

Spinning with Frustration

by Andrea Keikkala
As I stood behind two men chatting with the barista at the local café, trying patiently to wait and order my morning coffee, I was spinning in frustration.  I woke up early, went out for a run, completed my homework and was now on my way to class.  Since there was no internet at the apartment I had given myself an extra half hour to get to school.  My intent was to get my morning espresso and then head to the school building to check email before class started.  As I glared at the people in line chatting away, monopolizing the barista’s time I had to remind myself to take a deep breath - I was not in the United States with our rush rush rush, time is money culture.  I was in Italy.  

The start of my day is much like the start of any day back in Washington.  Spin class starts at 5:45 a.m. and then I grab my coffee at the drive through and rush off to work. I am at work generally an hour plus before the rest of my staff and most nights I work well after closing time with no lunch break.   If I do by chance leave early and by early I mean putting in eight hours that day instead of ten I feel like I have somehow cheated and need to explain myself.  

Adapting to the slow pace of Italy has been the most challenging cultural experience.  This cultural dissonance might be the death of me regarding the time I spend in Italy.  Try as I might to embrace Pausa and the maybe today, maybe tomorrow attitude of getting things done it still drives me crazy in my relational orientation to this country.   However, I do hope that a little of this Italian way of life will rub off on me when I return and if anything I will remember to stop and breathe deeply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment