Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sticks & Stones, Part Due

by Emily Hernandez, The Third
My fellow classmate, K. Greer, asked some great questions in her blog post this week! I have some things to add to her post. I am not a small woman and have also noticed the stares and gestures and have caught the occasional "fat" comment from locals.

I try not to take it personally because I know what they say/gesture is fact. The Italian culture is one of collectivism as compared to the American viewpoint of individualism. Put aside the fact that I am obviously American. Because I am a different size, does that make me more individualistic and therefore destined to be called out? Do Italians feel the same way about all people who are different and call them out as well? For example, if a person has a physical or mental disability, are they then treated as a citizen who stands outside of collectivism? Does it have anything to do with the fact that K. and I are women, or that we are American? 

Finally, I wonder how the individual who stands out in a collective society can really become a part of it. I worry that my experience is tainted somehow simply because of the way I look.

The majority of Cagliese I have met have been more interested in getting to know me rather than quick to judge my appearance. Still, the question of whether I am truly accepted continues to be the thorn in my heel.

I choose to ignore negative comments and behaviors in order to better enjoy the experiences I have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment