Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Falling Head Over Heels

by Emily Hernandez, The Third
Our days off of school were well-deserved, and much-needed! Monday, a group of five and I traveled
to nearby Fano for a lovely day on the rocky beach of the Adriatic Sea. It was magnificent. We ate fresh seafood, took naps, and indulged in laziness. 


Day two, however, ended in an accident for me. 
I wanted a great picture of my friends under the waterfall. One way to get to said waterfall is by the water, of which I was not participating. The other way to get there is by walking along the dam wall. At one point it ends abruptly only to resume it's wall status a few feet lower and further away. I thought to myself, "Yeah. I got this. I can totally jump that gap!" 
Well I totally couldn't. 
I feel about 7 feet and landed feet first on some rocks below. My arm is ugly-bruised, and my foot is swollen and achy. Surprisingly, I don't think I broke any bones. I may have a slight, minor fracture in my foot somewhere. I don't think it's bad enough to warrant an x-ray...yet. Nevertheless, I did get great pictures and I am so thankful to have such great friends who are willing to take care of me (you know who y'all are)! 




Also, in an unrelated incident, I found a litter of 6 kittens today in the courtyard. I have seen the momma cat around and just so happened to hear the mewling of her babies. I found them in a deep metal drum right in the sun, roasting. Darcy, the lab tech, moved them for me and his brother, Giovanni, the cat man, has been nursing them slowly to health. 
I am somewhat sad to be going home, only because I know the excitement of my life will be over for a good amount of time. I enjoy the mystery of each day in Cagli. 
You know those moments you have that you know will never quite happen the same way ever again, and you get equal parts grateful and extremely sad? I have been having a LOT of those lately. I hope to bring my family back to Italy once I graduate in a couple of years. It won't be the same, but perhaps I can show them some of the wonders of the city that doesn't want to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment