Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Italian for Dummies

by Jamie Perkins
While I approach my temporary home with the goal of understanding local norms and customs, I can’t help but find it difficult to adapt, despite my best efforts. Prior to arriving, I intentionally did very little research on the city of Cagli, as I wanted to come with an open mind, and little to no preconceived notions or expectations. By taking this approach to cultural adaptation, I have been attempting to immerse myself into everyday life in this small city, with some successes, and a number of mishaps.

I studied Spanish in high school and college, and only knew a few Italian words before I arrived. While it can be said that much of the Italian language is understood by gestures and nonverbal communication, I am struggling to grasp basic Italian words and phrases (my Italian-American grandparents would be very disappointed). I find that I revert back to Spanish as I search for the right thing to say, and become frustrated when I am unable to interact with local residents when they seem so eager to speak to me.


Language is one of the six stumbling blocks to effective intercultural communication, and I have certainly stumbled, nay— tripped and fallen, in this department. Knowing my limitations, I put a lot of effort into studying for my Italian conversation quiz only to find my professor teasing the class about the study group that assembled prior to the test. “It breaks my heart to see students studying Italian from a book while they’re in the piazza. If you really want to learn, go talk to the people living here,” he said dramatically.

Well, that’s the problem. While I’m certainly motivate to learn, I lack the knowledge. I understand my professor’s point, but for someone who does not pick up new languages easily, I find that for me, it’s definitely a balance between the flash cards and the daily interactions in the caffè.

It may seem silly to think I would be able to fully assimilate to Italian culture in the short time the Gonzaga program is in Cagli. So while I continue to strive to speak the language, maybe I should relax a bit, and not be so hard on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment