Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Alternative Medicine in Cagli

By Katie Price

            When I’m not enjoying Cagli through Gonzaga, I live in Bahrain.  There are few things that bloom in the desert so I anticipated an adverse allergic reaction when I traveled to the verdant region of le Marche, Italy. I brought what I thought would be a sufficient amount of anti-histamines for my three weeks here. I made a slight miscalculation; I ran out of my American medicine in the first three days here.

            My journey to health began at a traditional pharmacy where I got over-the-counter anti-histamine.  I took it religiously every morning and evening.  Although my health was improving, I still had a runny nose and frequent coughing fits.  I knew I wasn’t dying but it was difficult to explain my coughing fits to the sweet lady scooping gelato while I’m turning colors because I can’t breathe.

            Around the corner from my house, I noticed a sign for the erbolisteria – a small shop featuring alternative medicines.  Armed with my dictionary and some props (cough drops and tissues), I walked as confidently as I could manage into the store.  The cashier was helping another woman so I browsed the products nervously waiting for my turn to talk.

            It took about 15 minutes but I managed to explain my symptoms in broken Italian and substantial gesturing.  This extremely patient woman suggested an herbal supplement to be taken orally twice a day coupled with a nose spray made of grapefruit and other natural ingredients.  We pantomimed while referring heavily to my dictionary and scribbling instructions in a hybrid Italian-English on the back of her business card.  When I felt confident that I understood, I thanked her profusely and paid for the merchandise.

            Did this alternative medicine really work?  Actually, it has been much more efficient than the prescription medicine I had in the first place!  Negotiating medicine in an unfamiliar tongue can be awkward but I know the people of Cagli trust this woman with their health so why shouldn’t I?

For more about the woman who runs this shop, please click on this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment