Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The most amazing classrooms ever!!

by Samuel Starbuck
There is an ancient tradition of building castle strongholds on the top of hills in Italy. Driving the autostrada it's possible to look out your window and see an enormous fortress perched atop the tallest hill in the area. This was done to give a town the greatest advantage over a marauding enemy. I have visited two such places in the last week and a half, Urbino and the independent republic of San Marino. These cities, like Cagli, are living clasrooms of religious art, politics and ancient siege tactics. The beauty of these cities is not to be underestimated; winding cobblestone streets weave back and forth past castles, towers and churches. Inside many of these ancient structures are museums dedicated to the cities medieval history. Pictures, at least the ones I take, can scarcely do justice to these wonders of the world.

 I Attempted to place myself in the shoes of an ancient stone mason; transporting massive cut stones from the base of the mountain to the top and putting them in place while looking down a sheer drop of several hundred feet. While I know I will never actually have this experience, to live, just for a moment, vicariously through an ancient civilization has me so much more appreciative of my time spent here in Cagli. I savor each moment as a chance to experience something new to me and old at the same time. As I focus on the people of Cagli and our class presentations, I am reminded of the struggles both ancient and modern Italy, and the honor of being able to study in one of the most culturally rich areas of our increasingly small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment