Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Lesson in Coffee Etiquette

by Kaitlin Thornal
On Tuesday morning, I was on a photo mission. I got up early, showered and dressed, grabbed my camera and notebook for class, and took off on a walk. In crossing the bridge into new Cagli, I came across an elderly man. I watched him for a while and then, as he walked toward me, finally mustered up the courage to talk to him and ask if I could take his photo. He readily agreed and by the end of our conversation, despite my broken Italian, I felt like I’d made a friend. I watched him walk away, snapped a few more photos, and then followed slowly behind him, secretly hoping that he knew a shortcut to the piazza. Once I figured out where in town I was, I passed him, said another series of hellos and goodbyes and took off at a quick clip in search of my morning cappuccino. Class started in 15 short minutes and I’d spent more time on my walk than I’d intended, but I desperately needed a caffeine boost. In true American fashion, I marched straight up to the café counter, ordered my cappuccino, and then went to sit down.

Over the course of all this, my new friend had also arrived at the very same café. It was, after all, the only one open on the piazza that day. When he saw me, he grinned and offered to buy me coffee. With much embarrassment, I shook my head and hands feverishly and must have repeated, “Oh no, grazie” at least 5 times. My new friend nodded his head and continued on into the café. I felt absolutely terrible! At that point, there was not much else I could do other than down my cappuccino and take off for class. Again, in true American fashion.

Well, you can imagine how much worse I felt when this very topic came up in class later that day! While I knew I felt badly for refusing his kind offer, now I knew why. Around here, you just don’t turn down coffee if someone offers! So not only is the manner in which I spent my time that morning an example of cultural dissonance, but my refusal of his coffee offering is another one. Needless to say, I’ve learned my lesson. Allow more time for my morning coffee...and if a kind Cagliese offers to buy it for you, let them!

No comments:

Post a Comment