Sunday, July 7, 2013

Playing Cards in Cagli

by Elizabeth Millar
My story for the Cagli project is about a local New Cagli resident who plays bocce. I have been to the Bocciodromo a few times in order to interview and photograph Franco Tornari. In addition to playing bocce, the members also play cards, drink vino, and talk politics.

Some of the members spend hours at the club every day. The place is packed with a jovial atmosphere and camaraderie. The card players are especially animated as they speak Italian with gusto; the place is buzzing with lively chatter.

Since I have been there a few times, they have dubbed me the Americana. I noticed that these guys look out for each other and they love being photographed. Several times Franco asked that I photograph his friends Luigi 'pelo' and Rocky. The members are known as bocciofila - friends of bocce.

The collectivist society of Italy is apparent at the club; there is unity amongst the members. It also seems like the high context of the culture is apparent as they exude tradition and habit.  I'm definitely experiencing acculturation at the club - immersed in a language I am only a little familiar with, and the collectivism of the members.  I haven't played bocce yet, but hope to before I leave Cagli.


No comments:

Post a Comment