Saturday, July 13, 2013

Passeggiata Pals

One evening I went for a walk in search of some Italians, so that I could practice conversing with them in their language. I took my camera and the Rick Steves’ mini dictionary with me. I was lucky to come across three older women – Peppina, Rosa, and Gina who were sitting on a front porch.

I approached them and struck up a conversation. We talked about many things -  all in short sentences and some that consisted of only one word. I thumbed through the dictionary when I got stuck on how to say something, and sometimes the dictionary didn’t contain the word I needed, so I improvised. It’s amazing how knowing a few words and using new ones can carry a conversation.

Peppina, Rosa and Gina pose with me before our walk.
These three women were a delight and laughed when I would say ‘un momento’ as I searched for the Italian way to say something.  During our conversation, various neighbors passed, including Peppina’s grandson Miguel.   The neighbors would chime in as we talked. I was enjoying the ability to practice my Italian in such a great setting. It started to get dark and so it was Passeggiata time – slow stroll.  I enjoyed strolling with my three new pals as we walked in Cagli.


1 comment:

  1. SO awesome that you did that, Elizabeth! Good for you - what a rich experience for you to take home with you.

    ReplyDelete