Friday, July 12, 2013

An Update on Crêpes

By Jamie Perkins
Thanks to a fluent Italian-speaking new friend, I am able to understand a little more about the process of buying and selling crêpes in Calgi (referenced in my post on 7/3/13). The long and short of it is this: It’s at the discretion of the shop owner.

Apparently, at this shop, crêpes are only sold in the morning, and in the evening when it’s cool outside (the weather has actually been very mild for this time of year, but that’s beside the point). The owner believes if she sells warm crêpes in the middle of the day, her customers won’t enjoy them. However, I’ve really come to understand that the owner just doesn’t want to turn on the hot crêpes maker when the weather is warm. So that’s that.

To recap: Crêpes in the morning or at night, not during the day.

I have found that this level of understanding and acceptance falls in the middle of the intercultural learning continuum, but I have yet reach the point of appreciating the reasoning behind the “rule”. I was finally able to buy a crepe, and I have to say the wait made it taste all that much sweeter, but I have to wonder if the shop owner sells gelato in the winter????

No comments:

Post a Comment