Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Reflecting on a journey


by Neal Geller

There is much to say about planning and preparation.  Our language is hard enough in English.  Can you imagine not being able to speak to someone in another language? It can be brutal. 

This adventure admittedly identifies that the fault lies within each of us to recognize and resolve.  The learning from ill preparation and planning is the growth.

Florence Airport Tourist Information center

 The journey began with instructions in hand, where to go, what to do and how to do it, all clearly typed out and meticulously thought out.  However, the caveat in life is that things are just not that easy.  With bags in tow in a strange land and even stranger world; my discovery hits me as soon as I walk outside the doors from the airport.  Signs that are not recognizable, languages that are not understood, and people that are not known.  Quickly I turn around and find myself going back in looking for any indication to grab onto for help.  There is a sign that is recognizable ' Informazioni Turistiche', "Yes! I am saved"..not really, for this is not the ladies first time seeing an American lost with a question about what is next.  Kindly she tries to help with a comment about taking the bus or taxi and points to the sign to the far end of the hall.  This leaves me to question why am I here again, another reflection, to learn how to grow in this global village,  I remember the quote on the shirt "Go Big or Go Home!" 

With my own doubt quelled for the moment, assurance lifted and self-reasoning considered I walk off into the unknown.  I exit the building and follow a path to the bus stop crossing my fingers that everything will be just fine.  Finally, another American who is well travelled in Italy asks, "where are you going?"  A savior and lesson all within the hour.  

I made it to Florence!
Reflecting on this reminds me of the global village we all share; the intercultural communication that we must all remind ourselves needs constant preparation, planning and a pinch of patience, along with a little help. 

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment