Saturday, July 13, 2013

The good fortune to advance


by Agneta Murnan

My weeks in Cagli, Italy, are approaching an end, but my work and time in Italy will likely continue for a longer period. I’ve had the opportunity to reside in Italy for approximately two years, but this chance to break from work and focus intently on the intercultural dynamics has been wonderful. I can reflect on my range of experiences with parts of Italian culture in these years, but I can take the academics and experiences of the Gonzaga University Cagli Project and directly apply them in my Italian journeys ahead.

While I upped my Italian language skills, as an example, our study of culture has been much broader than applications within this single country. Organizations and institutions maintain and develop cultures, and I see tremendous beauty and strength in the diversity of cultures found in the United States. Even if I was unable to travel abroad again in my life, by interacting with different people, anywhere, my intercultural journey will continue.



(Cagli, Italy / Photo by Agneta E. Murnan)

No comments:

Post a Comment