Friday, July 12, 2013

Going Outside to Look Inside

By: Kristen Evans

I traveled some distance across the world to experience another culture when in truth I traveled some distance across the world to experience myself. During this immersion, the many sides of me have made appearances, even some sides of myself I am aware of less frequently. I’ve been a force of rational and emotional, extrovert and introvert. I hope mostly I’ve been a vessel poured into and out of by the company I’ve kept. I’ve met people who’ve made me think, “am I like that?" While many will say don’t compare yourself to others, and I do agree, I believe there is value in questioning yourself based on engagement with others. I’ve asked myself, “am I a great storyteller?” and “do I tell people how wonderful they are?" If not….why not? Communication starts with self. Do I engage people on the best interpersonal level? Absolutely not. Number one takeaway….every person is a culture, every person has a story; each day I should tell a story, give a compliment, and hear someone's story. That’s living communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment