Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Sound Opportunity


by Julie Salvato
In florence, where the locals dash by on their scooters and the tourists awkwardly linger to take a picture, Gonzaga students are asked to navigate the city and establish relationships with their peers.  We chatted with one another, admired the picture perfect buildings, but failed to become acquainted with the Florence locals, though some know the english language.  Now, in Cagli, where the residents clutch the relaxed mood, Gonzaga students are tested to quickly embrace the pace yet complete several exercises in photography and storytelling.  The early morning class and rapid deadlines confused students.  Professor Caputo challenged students to literally reside in Cagli; to almost say “I have lived in Italy;” where the word ‘lived‘ is said with felt.  How do you seize the opportunity without conforming back to the American anxiousness?  


                                                   
The anxiousness that you see in a chest that breaths fast and a uncontrollable right shaking leg.  In Cagli, its nothing more than living for the night.  The culture is distant, unfamiliar.  Italians gesture with purpose, unlike the Americans who almost grasp at words and use circularly hand motions to rush their almighty conversations.   







As a graduate student, it is safe to assume that we are known for completion.  For me, I struggle with accepting and enjoying the process.  Cagli is a metaphor for pushing my comfort zone and inspiring myself to write a blog because I want to write, not because I need to; to find light to photograph because I want to explore the city, not because I have to, to exchange with the locals because I live here, not because I am required to.  

I will learn how to travel this new road.  


No comments:

Post a Comment