Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Kindred Spirit

By Kaitlin Thornal

We’ve spent a lot of time talking about how American and Italian cultures differ, how intercultural competence can be achieved and how we can do so communicatively. Intercultural competence requires us to understand how our own culture affects the way we see the world, to see our cultural differences without blinders. I think it’s important to take time to understand ways in which we are alike too. (Of course, without making assumptions and avoiding the first stumbling block to intercultural communication – assumed similarity!) So for this blog post, I’d like to take a moment to highlight a unique likeness that I came across during my time in Cagli.

It was last week, and I was halfway to the cemetery for my interview with its caretaker. As I walked, I pondered the ‘work-to-live/live-to-work’ difference in American and Italian cultures. Suddenly, my heart sank. What if he hates his job?! How will I write about it?! Before I could reconcile that thought in my head, I found myself walking up the cypress-lined path and into the Cagli cemetery. Well, here goes nothing, I thought.

It turns out I had nothing to worry about. The caretaker, Romano, is a very kind-hearted man who cares a lot about his job. “If you don’t feel it, you should just quit,” he said at one point in the interview. This very simple statement stuck with me. He went on to explain that a person needs to care in a job like his, or he/she shouldn’t be there. Boy-oh-boy, I have definitely felt like that before!

In such a short sentence, he summed up a life philosophy that is near and dear to my heart. Life is too short not to “feel” whatever it is that you choose to do with your time on this planet! Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not advocating being a quitter. I am advocating living a life of purpose, on purpose, because you are passionate about what you choose to do. Because you “feel” it. I realize this is idealistic at best, but it’s something I find that I strive for in my own life. Having a conversation with an Italian gentleman whose life and culture are remarkably different from my own and hearing him say this very thing gave me cold chills on that holy July afternoon! Discovering this kindred spirit was the highlight of my day and one of the highlights of my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment