Wednesday, July 3, 2013

No Crêpes For You

by Jamie Perkins
As I planned my trip to Cagli, the thing I looked forward to the most (aside from all the intercultural learning experiences) was the culinary pleasures that only Italy can provide. Pizza, pasta and pastries have been calling my name since I boarded the plane.

When our group arrived in Cagli, one of the first things I spotted was a little gelateria that sold crêpes, and I could not wait to partake in my favorite treat: crêpe with Nutella®. These thin pancakes may have originated in France, but Nutella® is all Italian, and I anxiously awaited the taste of this sweet hazelnut spread. I know Nutella® is available in the US, but there is something about a fresh crêpe with warm, melting Nutella® that seems to taste so much better in Italy.

On my second day in Cagli, I walked into the gelateria, and in my broken Italian ordered a crêpe, but was quickly told, “No!” My Italian language skills are minimal at best, and I didn’t want (or know how) to ask why. The sign on the door clearly said crêpes were sold in that establishment, and despite the fact that I saw the crêpe maker on the counter; they were apparently unavailable that day. So I ordered a hazelnut (nocciola) gelato, thanked the owner, and left the shop.

The next day I returned, and again asked for a crêpe thinking she’ll surely have them available today; but was once again told, “No!” The owner must have recognized the puzzled look on my face, and went on to what I can only assume was an explanation for why she unable to make one.

As I left the shop empty-handed, I couldn’t help but wonder why she wouldn't sell me a crêpe. Is the machine broken? Does the owner not make enough batter to last the entire day? Did I order it wrong?

I decided the next time I will bring someone with me to help get to the bottom of this crêpe debacle. I really don’t want to leave Cagli without indulging in my favorite treat. Ahhh, the Italian struggles between a girl and her Nutella®.

No comments:

Post a Comment