Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Love Affair with Gelato

by Katie Price
I love gelato.  I made it a priority to find a gelateria in Cagli where I could get my daily dose of gelato.  Gelato is loosely translated as “ice cream,” but I think the Italian version is much superior to our American concept of ice cream. 

This is a bold statement, but let me explain. Gelato is smooth and creamy like ice cream, but has a significantly lower sugar and fat content.  I see the same Italians eating gelato everyday, and it does not seem to be affecting their pants sizes.  Ideally, the ingredients are picked at the peak of the season with no additional sugar.  The artisanal fragola gelato here actually tastes like frozen, creamy strawberries. 

The first evening in town, my roommate and I stumbled upon a small gelato shop off the main piazza.  A middle-aged Italian woman greeted us while we contemplated our options.  I think I ordered a lemon and strawberry gelato that evening – honestly it’s difficult to remember.  

I’ve been going back to her store every day (sometimes several times each day!) to sample whatever she recommends.  I’ve sampled Lindor chocolate, lemon, biscotti, pistachio, strawberry, ricotta with pine nuts, melon, baci (literally a “kiss” of chocolate and hazelnut), and my favorite flavor of all time – grapefruit!  Gelato is my favorite Italian pick-me-up for a balmy afternoon in Cagli.

No comments:

Post a Comment