Thursday, July 11, 2013

Down by the river two worlds collide

by Neal Geller

I decided to join several Gonzaga classmates to go down to the river today in Cagli.

The river is beautiful with a waterfall that comes down the mountain.  The local Cagliese say this is an old roman bath area where soldiers would relax.  There were about twenty locals here on this day. There is a wooden bench behind a rock wall that the locals built.  You can put your feet in the water while sitting on this bench.  I am all in!

I want to sit on this bench.  There is a gentleman reading his book. I ask in broken Italian. "Excuse me, may I sit." Surprisingly he says in English "Go ahead." I have just met a retired American ex journalist named Douglas Mine.  He says he is from New Jersey, but moved to Italy with his wife several years ago.
"What a small world down by the river."

Two worlds were about to collide.

Doug was watching his son Patrick, a musician, with his bandmates filming a video for their latest song.  I think how profound that of all places, I am here watching two worlds collide.  You see this is a very small town and a very remote location.  Doug and I are talking about his life in Italy and we start to discuss the differences between American and Italian culture.  "You know America is the only Democratic society that does not have free healthcare," Doug says.

The feeling in this river by the waterfall next to the small village here in Italy, talking to another American who has retired here to share the pros and cons of this society is blowing my mind.

As the band finishes shooting their video they start to pack up.  I noticed at the top of the cliff above us were local Cagliese, watching with glaring eyes.  They seemed concerned.  As I dug deeper into this observation, I find that this place is more than just an old river bed and waterfall.  It is their local hangout, these 21st century cagliese guards, are the roman soldiers today.

When all is clear the Cagliesi men jump into the water and swim over to our area and in a show of brute strength they start to lift big rocks around.  I observe that they are working to repair the area after all the day's events. They are concerned and are working to fix and maintain the surroundings.  This is their home, they are proud of it, and we are their guests.

Our cultures have collided and it is not always accepted.  A young rock band filming a video.  Americans jumping and swimming all around and two gentleman sitting on their bench discussing the policies of governments.

Cagliese guardians
We should remind ourselves that when we visit other countries, we must be sensitive to the culture, the environment and the way of life.  People may not always want to assimilate, but they want you to understand, to adapt and to show respect.  We are all proud of our heritage, but when we are the guest, we must be aware.

We can all live together when we all live down by the river.




No comments:

Post a Comment