Thursday, July 4, 2013

Speaking with our hands, experience this journey

by Neal Geller
Here I am, in this small village called Cagli (pronounced KAI-yee), it is very easy to point out obvious rituals of the Cagliese people. What can I learn to hold onto from this experience?

The espresso shops lined with patrons. The afternoon breaks. The sweet sensation of gelato. And the countless discussions that bring this town together.

Then there are the not so obvious rituals.  The hands of the Italians in a constant dance with a band conductor orchestrating Mozart in C Minor.  The hands, like music, give meaning to the people. 

As you move across your chest with a pinch of the pointy finger and thumb, you have just expressed your satisfaction.  In another conversation, hands are spinning in the air, someone seems disappointed.  And then a hand gesture grabs me and pulls me in.  I start to consider its value.  I start trying it myself and realize that I have done this stance before, but never to the point where it creates a meaning.

I am walking with my hands clasped behind my back.  At first, I am walking quite fast, but then I find myself slowing down.  Considering the reasoning for this behavior of the people, I start to piece together this story.  A moment of reflection to the value of slowing down.  Think more clearly as you consider this point.  If we slow down and think, do we become more aware?

Slow down, breathe deep, exhale and think.  This journey we are on needs moments like this.  Take some time to increase your awareness and slow down to capture yourself.  You can create your own rituals long after you leave this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment